Monday, December 8, 2014

The Rat Who Ate Iron

Once there lived a merchant in a village. He had a son named Jveernadhana.
Jveernadhana was hard working but was  uuccessful in his business. He lost his money and wandered in search of work.
One day, he decided to leave the village in search of work. He needed money and therefore mortgaged the iron balance he had inherited from his ancestors.
Jveernadhana traveled far and wide. When was successful and rich, he decided to return home.
After returning, Jveernadhana went to the merchant and asked for the iron balance he had mortgaged with him.
But the merchant did not want to return the stardy rare balance. He said, 'The balance you kept with me has been destroyed by the rats. I do not have it anymore'.
Jveernadhana realised that the merchant was outrightly lying. But he said, 'If the rats have destroyed the balance, nothing can be done. But you should remember one truth of life - nothing in this world can last forever'.
Then he asked the merchant, 'I have come a long way. I am tried and want to take bath in the river. Can you ask your son to carry my belongings and keep a watch while I take bath?'
The merchant asked his son to accompany Jveernadhana to the river and take care of his belongings.
They left towards river and after Jveernadhana took bath, he took the merchant's son to a nearby cave and hid him there.
Jveernadhana returned to the merchant. When the merchant didn't see his son, he was worried and asked Jveernadhana, ' Where is my son?'
Jveernadhana said, 'While I was taking bath, a flammingo swept him off. I was unable to help him rescue'.
The merchant was angry and said,'How can a flamingo carry a boy big as him? You are lying. I will approach the village chief to seek justice against what you have done to my son'.
The merchant took Jveernadhana before the village chief, and said, 'This man has abducted my son'.
The chief asked Jveernadhana, 'What is the matrer? Why have you abducted his son? What do you want?'
Jveernadhana said, 'Chief, the boy went with me to the river. He was keeping a watch on my belongings while I bathed. Suddenly, a flamingo swept him away with its claws. I was helpless. I have not abducted him'.
The chief was angry to hear what Jveernadhana said. He countered, 'It is a plain lie. How can a flamingo carry a child this big?'
Jveernadhana argued, 'Chief! If in your village, rats can eat iron, then why cann't a flamingo carry a child?'

Hearing this, the chief was stuck. He asked, 'Where dis the rat eat iron? What are you trying to say?'
Jveernadhana narrated the entire event to the chief. He said that he wanted the iron balance back and revealed that the merchant's son had bern safely hidden in cave'.
The chief eyes opened. The people who had been standing round listening, laughted and the merchant was immensely embarresed.
The chief asked the merchant to return Jveernadhana's iron balance to him and bring back his do from the cave.
Moral : As you sow, so shall you reap. Do good and good will come to you (tit for tat).

No comments :

Post a Comment