Friday, March 27, 2015

21. Justice or Gold

One day Emperor Akbar asked Birbal, ‘What is dearer to you – gold or justice? What would you choose over the other – a gold coin over justice or otherwise?’

Birbal said, ‘The gold coin,’ without hesitation.

Akbar was taken aback by Birbal’s reply as he expected that Birbal was a wise and honest courtier.

Akbar reinforced his question, ‘Birbal you would prefer a gold coin over justice? Are you serious?’


Birbal said, ‘My majesty, yes!’

The courtiers chuckled over Birbal’s plain display of idiocy. Birbal’s reply was politically incorrect. The courtiers who envied Birbal relaxed as they were convinced that today Birbal had himself discredited in the Akbar’s eyes. They were sure that Birbal’s answer was an eye opener for Akbar about Birbal. They were elated and smiled back.

Akbar was stuck. He said, ‘It is very disappointing to hear that you prefer gold over justice after standing and serving in this greatest political stage of the country. Even if my lowliest servant would have said this, I would have been disappointed. But it comes from one of my treasured courtier (Navratanas). I am very much displeased and dishonored to hear this Birbal. It is indeed shocking and saddening. I could never think that you are so much debased at your roots’.
   
Birbal’s replied, ‘My Majesty, I will you what I do not have. I am happy to be serve and live in one of the mightiest kingdoms in the world, where the king ensures justice to all its subjects. I have justice, but I need money for my own and my family needs. So I prefer gold coin’.


The Emperor was enlightened. Initially plagued and disturbed by Birbal’s reply, the emperor was now reassured that Birbal is one of his most honest and just courtier. He bestowed Birbal with thousand gold coins that day.

No comments :

Post a Comment