Monday, April 20, 2015

64. The Straw in the Beard

One day while addressing his counsel of ministers, Emperor Akbar noticed that his precious ring was missing. He valued the ring as it was a gift from his father.

Soon Birbal arrived in the court and Akbar said, "Birbal, the ring my father gave me is missing. I have probably lost it in the court area. Can you find it for me? It is very valuable fr me".

When Birbal smiled assuringly and said, " My Majesty! Don't worry. The ring is in the court. I will find it".

Akbar was calmed. He listened as Birbal said, "My Majesty, your ring is in this court and with one of the courtiers standing here. He has a straw in his beard".

Hearing this, the courtier who had the ring immediately checked his beard in bewilderment. Birbal noted him. He asked the guards to search the courtier immediately. 

The guard searched the courtier and recovered the ring from him. He pleaded sorry for the act, but the emperor was too unhappy with his dishonesty and disloyalty. He punished the courtier.

Later in the day, Akbar took Birbal for a walk and asked him, "Birbal tell me, how did you who retained the ring?"

Birbal explained,"My Majesty, it is human nature - a guilty person is always scared. I said that man who stole ring had a straw in his beard. This was a just a fake pointer to catch attention of the thief, and he was caught".

Akbar was impressed by Birbal's wisdom and presence of mind. He rewarded him once again.

No comments :

Post a Comment