Tuesday, October 27, 2015

22. Story of Durva - 2

nce there lived a beautiful nymph named Tilottama in the Kingdom of Heaven ruled by Lord Indra.

Tilottoma was ceaselessly beautiful. One day Ganesha visited the court of Indra when Tilottama was performing dances. Ganesha was taken away by the beauty of Tilottoma. 

When Lord Indra saw Ganesha, he asked he nymphs to stop. The nymphs sat besides Lord Indra. 

When Ganesha spoke to Indra and other Gods of Heaven, his virtues and values were revealed to Tilottoma. She began to admire Ganesha and fell in love with him.

When Ganesha left the court, Tilottoma followed him.

Ganesha saw Tilottoma following her and smiled back. Then he waited and spoke to her.

Tilottoma said, "O Ganesha, you are most vitreous God. I wish to devote myself to your. I express my deep and true desire to marry you".

Ganesha was pleased to hear Tilottoma. However he affirmed, "Tilottoma, I wish to let my parents know about your desire". Saying this, Ganesha left with Tilottoma for Mount Kailash.

Ganesha reached Kailash, where he approached his mother Parvati and told her about Tilottoma. He praised the beautiful nymph and expressed his wish to marry her, while Tilottoma waited outside.

Hearing that her son's desire to marry a celestial dancer, Parvati was provoked. She left in fury and cursed Tilottoma who was waiting at the threshold of their home.

"Tilottoma! My son Ganesha has a high descend and occupies a very high, respectable position among all Gods. You are a celestial dance. You have wrongly attempted to allure my son. I curse you - you shall recede the Heaven and thrive on Earth as mere grass. Your shall loose your honour and pride and no one would bother to see you".

Tilottoma was devasted and rose above her desires. She fell on Parvati's pious feet and pleaded her for forgiveness. She said, "O Great Goddess! It is true that I have a lower descend and perform as a celestial dancer, but my love for son was true and devotional. I wanted to serve him rather than just please him. I plead you to forgive me".

Parvati realized that Tilottama's feelings towards Ganesha were true and devotional. However she could not take back her curse. So she said, "Tilottama, I cannot take back my curse. But since your feelings for Ganesha are true, I bless you that in your existence as 'Durva, you shall be used as an offering to Ganesha. Ganesha shall be adored and pleased by the offering of durva".

Thus 'Durva became dearer to Ganesha and came to be used in worshipping Ganesha.

Tilottama gratified Parvati. She took form of 'Durva grass on Earth and came to used for offering to Ganesha.

No comments :

Post a Comment