Monday, December 8, 2014

The Tale of Two Fishes And A Frog

This is the story of three friends –Sahasrabuddhi and Satabuddhi who were fishes and Ekabuddhi who was a frog. They lived merrily in a pond in the forest.

One day a group of fishermen passed by the pond. They carried the harvest from the forest river. When they saw the pond, they were amazed to see the large number of fishes in it. So they decided to catch fish from the pond next day.

The frog was worried to hear the fishermen’s plans. He said, ‘Friends, the fishermen will come to catch fish tomorrow. Our lives are in danger. We should decide where to hide or run’.

But the fishes were not worried. The first fish confidently confirmed, ‘Don’t worry friends. These fishermen just made a passing statement. I think they will not come to fish here. However, if they come I shall rescue myself from their trap. I know many tricks to do so’.

The second fish was likeminded. She said, ‘I knew how to deceive the fishermen. They cannot catch me. I shall survive as well. Further, this pond was home of my ancestors, I do not intend to leave it at any cost!’

But the frog was worried and said,’ I can see danger. I cannot risk my and my family’s life. I shall migrate before the day break’.

The frog and his family left the pond. They settled in a small swamp nearby.

The next day, the group of fishermen arrived. They cast their huge net and caught several animals including the turtles, fishes, frogs; etc. Sahasrabuddhi and Satabuddhi were large fishes and were easily trapped. They tried hard to escape but all their tricks failed.

When the fishermen dragged the net on bank, all fishes were dead. They were happy to catch large fishes - Sahasrabuddhi and Satabuddhi, besides other fishes in large number. They returned home happily with the huge harvest.

Ekabuddhi who had been watching the fishermen, saw them carrying his friends. He was very sad and told his wife, ‘talent never pays the overconfident. I am grieved to loose my friends - Sahasrabuddhi and Satabuddhi. They were too confident of their talent which never came handy when they needed it’.

Moral: Act timely to avoid mishaps. Do not be overconfident about your talents as it will never pay you.
Read More Stories From Panchatantra

No comments :

Post a Comment