Tuesday, January 19, 2016

3. The Honest Opinion

Once a learned poet came to see Tenali Raman.

The poet was young and aspired position in the King's court by impressing Tenali who was one of the King's favorites.

The poet approached Tenali insisting, "O Glorious one, I have come to entertain you with some of my best works".

The poet laid down a thick book containing several compositions. It was hot summer afternoon and Tenali felt lethargic after the early court session held. He asked the poet to leave his work and return in few days - "I shall read your work. You can leave it. We shall meet after few days".

However the poet was desperately sought attention and insisted hard to listen. Tenali help helpless and allowed him to receite.

Soon the man began singing this poems. He rhymed, acted, took rounds to present his work in most artistic ways. While he continued, drowsed in the glory of his work Tenali stared snoring.

The poet finally taking a note that his only spectator Tenali had fallen asleep, stopped and waited calmly for Tenali to wake up.

After sometime, Tenali woke up and said, "Is your presentation over?"

The poet smiled pleadingly and said, "O venerated, you fell asleep soon after i began. Now that you have completed your sleep, allow me to reinitialize".

Tenali gave a sigh of disgust and said, "I have already given you my opinion on your work. Why do you want to perform again?"

The man nodded and said, "No Sir, you fell asleep".

Tenali now stood up and said, "That's right, when I slept I gave my opinion".

Saying this Tenali walked away. The man understood the implied meaning and returned home in dismay.

No comments :

Post a Comment